Information about organization
Friends of the Baltic NGO was established in 1994/ More than 300 teachers, students and other residents of the Gulf of Finland coasts (Russian part) are involved to the FB projects and programs. FB activits work in St.Petersburg and small towns and villages on the South and North shores of the Gulf: Lomonosov, Lebyazhye, Sestroretsk, Kipen, Primorsk, Pavlovsk and others.
Children of the Baltic NGO was registered by department of Justice of St.Petersburg and Leningrad oblast 28.08.2000, reg. ¹ 1879. It was re-named and re-registered as "Friends of the Baltic" 22.06.2005.
Scheme of organization
The main executive body is the "Friends of the Baltic" Meeting (once a year). The FB Meeting elects the FB Council once a two years and the FB Council Chairperson. The FB Council is the main executive body between the FB Meetings. Current management of the FB Projects is performed by Project leaders in accordance with the plans approved by the FB Meetings and FB Council.
Firends of the Baltic is a member of Coalition Clean Baltic (CCB), which unites 29 NGOs from 9 Baltic countries. Children of the Baltic NGO is a lead party of CCB priority activity "LA21 in the focus of spatial planning". Children of the Baltic is a member of International Socio-Ecological Union.
FB Council chairwoman
Tel/fax: +7 812 428-0658
Secretary of St.Petersburg Public Center for Environmental Information,
supported by Children of the Baltic
Tel./fax: +7 (812) 315-6622
Coordinator of Lomonosov Center for Environmental information
Tel.: +7 (812) 422-9932, fax: (912) 422-9875
Tel.: (812) 315-6622
Contact address of Friends of the Baltic: P.O.box 21, Chebyshevskaya 14/1, Petrodvorets-St.Petersburg, 198504, Russia,
Friends of the Baltic (FB) mission
- Creation of effective system for popular environmental education of children and adults, for forming environmentally sound life stile and promotion of sustainable development of the region.
- Methodological and organization support of youth initiatives in the sphere of nature protection and sustainable development;
- Development of cooperation between teachers (methodical and experience exchange) and youth eco-groups (common actions and accompanying work) around the Gulf of Finland and in the Baltic region in the whole;
- Forms of activity: collection, publication and distribution of environmental information and educational materials; organizing seminars, conferences, trainings, youth environmental expeditions and camps, public actions.
Current projects and programs of FB:
- Development of the network of local grass-root organizations, teachers and young leaders, working on the learning and protection of local nature values, development of the River Watch network within the CCB activity;
- Promotion of energy efficiency and renewable energy;
- Supporting local initiatives for sustainable development;
- Promotion of environmental rights and public participation;
- Green consumerism.
History of organization:
First members of Children of the Baltic NGO were participants of youth expedition to the sources of Karasta river, which flows to the Gulf of Finland. They could see how clear water in the beginning of the river becomes the sewage in the mouth of the Karasta. They decided to help their river and the Baltic sea.
During the next years they were consolidated with similar groups from St.Petersburg and Leningrad oblast, South and North shores of the Gulf of Finland. NGO Friends of the Balitc became inter-regional organization.